If you’re looking for easy-to-hand-out treats, then you want to be sure to get small, individually wrapped goodies. Some prepackaged, snack-size treats you may want to consider:
- raisins or cranberries
- animal crackers
- cheese sticks
- all-natural fruit wraps
- dark chocolate (hey, it is Halloween and chocolate is actually a great treat!)
Of course, you’ll want to read the ingredients to avoid partially hydrogenated fats, artificial colorings, and any ingredients you don’t recognize or can’t pronounce. And remember, usually the fewer ingredients, the better.
For a Halloween party, you’ll probably also want to have some other types of snacks, something you can easily and inexpensively put together. My daughters and I recently tried out this recipe for a fun and delicious party snack:
- whole grain English muffins
- pizza sauce
- black olives
- green onion
- red or green bell peppers
- part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Heat the oven to 350º F. For each mummy, spread a tablespoon of pizza sauce onto half of a whole grain English muffin.
2. Set olive slices in place for eyes and add round slices of green onion or bits of red or green pepper for pupils.
3. Lay strips of cheese across the muffin for the mummy’s wrappings.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the muffin is toasty.
Melissa Campos De Hernandez
Melissa is a graduate research assistant with the Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living.